Sunday, March 13, 2011

Social Networking and Games

The subject matter of this week brought a new set of challenges; responding as a parent vs. responding as an educator.  My first response as a parent was that to much time is “wasted”on-line.  

For example, My initial reaction to social networking is based on the challenges that Facebook has brought to our family life.  Constant reminders of the balance between social  networking and academics has become an issue in our house.   
It’s easy to be a Facebook “hater”.  There are some social aspects of Facebook that I still don’t understand.   Everyone has different uses for FB.  I don’t feel the need to record every little life moment  on Facebook; “Seth just ate 12 cheese sticks”,and on the other end of the spectrum I  am uncomfortable with FB postings about the death of a loved one. 
Stepping back and looking at these tools from a different perspective has changed my way of thinking  My teaching experience has given me the wonderful perspective of acknowledging the variety of  learning styles, and the importance of respecting differences within each child.   Of course now I must drag out my favorite quote from Benjamin Franklin:

Hide not your talents, they for use they were made. What's a sun-dial in the shade? :

With this in mind, I was able to realize the value of different platforms of  that can be found in games.  Once  I  “stepped” into Second Life, and other gaming applications, I was lost!  As I struggled to find my way,  I wondered if this is how some students feel when they open a book,   or some other type of assignment.    There are so many educational components of these games it is a great opportunity for all learners to participate.






No comments:

Post a Comment