Sunday, March 6, 2011

Online Media Blitz

Online media applications undoubtedly bring variety, value and fun to the classroom.
I used to think of Youtube as just a time waster, after witnessing kids watch video after video of people skateboarding into walls, dogs being adorable etc.  Further exploration shows that there is actually some valuable stuff out there!   I think Youtube use  needs to be monitored for younger grade levels, but I don’t believe it should be outright blocked in schools.   I had never used Vimeo, and it seems to offer a safer, less widespread, option.
By far, my favorite “tech toy” of the week is Animoto.  I have created several personal videos including the following: http://animoto.com/play/VhRIxHd3DPaXlDGfztx3Og.  I can envision students of all ages using Animoto for school projects.  Using digital photography and video and creating unique end products can boost self esteem, and keep students engaged.  Much more fun than a 10 page paper!
I wrestled my son’s I-pod touch away from him as I had never laid hands on one.  The educational uses for many of the apps are endless!  As I shrieked in delight, my son’s response was something to the effect of—it’s no big deal, you can do most of these things on a regular computer.  Why then, did he beg me for months for an Ipod touch? 
I found searching for podcasts difficult, and in my opinion, not entirely worth the effort for the return.  However, I can see the value of audio technology for mobility, and differentiated learning. 
All-in-all, another great week of stuffing more things in my technology toolbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment