Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Wonderful World of Wikis

Although I have played around with Wikis for a previous LBS class, this week’s exploration into everything wiki  really expanded my understanding of this powerful tool.   I especially liked Barbara Schroeder’s 10 Best Practices for Using Wikis in Education.   
My biggest moment of wiki enlightenment was embracing the “collaborative environment” that wikis create.  Wikis are more than just a flashy new technology; they can be a means to an end of teaching students how to work with others, or as Richardson writes “how to operate in a world  where the creation of knowledge and information is more and more becoming a group effort.”
I began my exploration with the award winners:
It really is amazing to see all the creative uses for Wikis.   As with most of my explorations in technology, I found time flying by as I leapt from wiki to wiki.  Thankfully, Mother Nature provided an excellent excuse to sit by the fire and wiki away. 
My biggest frustration at this point is not having any professional outlet for this expanding balloon of new technology in my head!  For a previous class, I had created a very basic wiki to potentially be used in the library I was temporarily working in. ( libraryshare.wikispaces.com )    Although I am always eager to share my creations with library staff members I haven’t had any takers yet for actually using them.   Someday!
My head is spinning with possibilities for creating a wiki for this week’s assignment.   Time to leap from exploration to implementation!  (And then back for more exploration)

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! Your live links are good. Some people embed them in text, but I find it can be helpful to have the full URL there. I am charmed by the look of your blog! You have really done a nice job.

    ReplyDelete