Sunday, May 8, 2011

TOP 10 REVISITED


This “re-do” is especially significant as so much as so much as changed since I created this list.   Although I had many temporary library jobs, I now am an official library/tech center staff member in a new district!  It kind of feels like before I was “playing house” and thinking of my dream library.  The reality of working day-to-day in a high school library is very different!  I still stand by my top 10, but have added info to most of the entries indicated by "**". 

Don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know.”  Technology is ever changing and at any given moment you might not have the best answer.  Learn to learn, and allow students to contribute.
**I still agree with this statement, however I have since learned that other people(teachers, administrators) may not be as patient with the “I don’t know”.
 
Share!  Collaboration is the name of the game.  Chances are, someone may have had a similar idea/assignment, and you can put your own twist on it.
**I have seen so many great ideas but still trying to find a way to enhance collaboration!

Show off! Collaboration is a two-way street.  If you have found something that works; a new way of presenting projects, a new way of teaching a lesson using Web 2.0, share it.  It also makes your school/school system look fabulous!
**It takes an amazing amount of confidence to do this.  Although I have learned so many skills in this course the big push for me is to tell someone about them!

Always Remember: Things don’t always go as planned.  Whether it’s a system issue or something you just didn’t see coming have a plan B…and C.
**Or D, E and F!

Get rid of the “us. Vs. them” mentality with the IT department.   This is a hard barrier to break down but as professional educators we must realize and value the shared mission of creating 21st Century Learners. 
**Easier said than done.   I am fortunate enough to work in a school that embraces technology. There still seems to be a school vs. district issue and a lot of time spent on determining “who” should be doing something rather than getting it done.

Technology is a tool; it is not the band-aid or cure-all for your school or your school system.  Like any tool users must be taught to use it properly.
**AMEN

Do away with absolutes.  Google It! isn’t always the answer just as much as Wikipedia isn’t always evil.  Teach skills so learners can interpret and analyze information appropriately.
**This is one area in which I  feel I have seen our school shine!  I love seeing first hand how many 2.0 skills are being used by teachers. 

Mix it Up!  Overusing any one particular tool; Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts can become just as uninteresting as reading from a Power Point presentation.
***Woops!  I did way too many Power Points for this class and reviewing this reminds me to mix it up more.

Do not use technology as a short cut or an excuse to allow for shortcuts.  Spelling and grammar still matter.  Assignments should not be written as a text message. 
**Still Believe…even more when working with a larger range of students. 

Relax; Have fun; Get engaged.  Students will have a deeper connection to technology when it is introduced by someone who has enthusiasm for embracing technology. 
**After only being at my job for three months, I was recently “spoofed” in a Senior Skit play as being the one who is always smiling, waving and talking to students while “efficiently and accurately putting a laptop into the hand of each student”.  My mantra is to be friendly but not a friend and to get students engaged in learning.  There are so many cool tools out there .. it’s a fun time to be a student!

No comments:

Post a Comment